Saturday, January 14, 2012

Whole Wheat Bread

For everyone who was interested in my homeade bread recipe, here it is!

-4 tbsp yeast
-1 cup very warm water
-1 cup brown sugar or honey ( I use honey)
-2 tbsp's salt
-1/2 cup of oil
-4 1/2 cups warm water
-12-14 cups whole wheat flour*

Dissolve yeast in 1 cup of very warm water. (I scoop out my honey then put the spoon I used in the yeast and water to activate it).  Mix together honey, salt, oil, 4 1/2 cups of water and 7 cups of flour.  Beat until smooth.  Mix dissolved yeast in then begin adding flour, enough to make dough easy to handle.  (Use dough hooks if using a bosch).

Divide into 4 pieces and form loaves.  (I grease my pans with crisco and use a lot on my hands because I leave my dough a little sticky.  It's much easier to handle with a good amount!)  Put in greased pans and raise about one hour.  Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes, covering with foil for the last 20 minutes to keep crust from getting too dark.  Take immediately out of pans and cool on rack (or they will get soggy!)  Paint tops with crisco, butter or oil if desired.

*I just found organic whole wheat flour in a 25 lb bag at costco for $13.99.  Does anyone else know of a better deal, and where do you get yours?  Or is that a pretty good deal?

Let me know how your bread turns out if you make it!  I'm happy to answer any questions too, it takes practice to get it just right!  As you can tell, I'm still practicing, mine are all different sizes!  Good luck :)

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Hi, I'm Tiffany! I found your blog while using that "next blog" link thing, while searching for other mom bloggers.
The bread sound delicious, I might have to try it!

MATINA said...


I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.